With eight years of post-secondary education and a natural focus on identifying and treating the underlying cause of your health concerns, a Naturopathic Doctor can guide you to truly transform your health! Here are some of the most common reasons you would benefit from adding a Naturopathic Doctor to your health care team:
1. You’re always sick and tired – If you find yourself feeling tired and depleted, it’s time to identify and treat the underlying cause. A Naturopathic Doctor (ND) will assess whether hormonal imbalances, nutrient deficiencies, food sensitivities or chronic inflammation are leading to your fatigue and low immune function. By specifically identifying the underlying cause of your symptoms, a targeted treatment plan can be developed for you to quickly regain your energy and vitality!
2. You’ve been diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) – If you experience bloating, constipation and/or diarrhea you may have been told you have IBS, which can be a frustrating diagnosis for many! While IBS gives a name to the collection of symptoms you’ve been experiencing, most people leave the medical office without knowing how to resolve their digestive concerns. As a Naturopathic Doctor I help my patients to identify whether food sensitivities, microbial imbalances, parasites, yeast overgrowth, digestive enzyme deficiencies or other imbalances are at the root of these often embarrassing symptoms. By identifying the underlying cause of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, symptoms can quickly and effectively be resolved through a natural medicine based treatment plan.
3. Your muscles or joints are sore and achy – Do you receive massage or physiotherapy treatments, only to have your pain return days after treatment? Chronic inflammation, dehydration, food sensitivities and nutritional deficiencies are only a few of the possible causes of your chronic pain and stiffness. Through nutritional support, diet and lifestyle modifications, herbal medicine, acupuncture and other natural treatments you can obtain long-term relief from your pain with personalized guidance from your Naturopathic Doctor.
4. You suffer with depression or anxiety – As a Naturopathic Doctor with an honours degree in neuroscience I have a particular interest in natural treatments for anxiety and depression. Hormonal and neurotransmitter (brain chemical) imbalances, nutrient deficiencies and chronic inflammation are some of the most common causes of these debilitating symptoms. Naturopathic Doctors have access to private lab tests that help us to specifically identify the underlying cause of your concerns. Once identified, there are many natural supplements that can be used to rebalance neurotransmitters in addition to diet and lifestyle modifications that can dramatically improve your mood and alleviate anxiety.
5. You have an autoimmune disease - Whether you have been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, Hashimoto’s disease (the most common cause of hypothyroidism) or Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Chron's or Colitis), a Naturopathic Doctor will treat your symptoms in addition to the underlying cause of your disease. Food sensitivities, chronic inflammation and imbalances in your immune system and gut microbiome need to be screened for and addressed in anyone with an autoimmune condition. By addressing your disease from a holistic perspective you position yourself not only to control the progression of your symptoms but also to heal and recover your true health.
Naturopathic Medicine is covered by most extended benefit plans. Find out more here about Dr. Kimberley O’Brien and her practice in Calgary. If you are located elsewhere the CAND can help you locate an ND close to you and your family.